Who is Carlos? Why is he in the film?
Carlos Gomez/ 22 years old/ Mexican-America
Grew up in South Central Los Angeles
Summary: Having been almost murdered by his brother and had his family turned against him to silence his sexual identity, Carlos, is dealing with issues of drug usage and financial instability. Recently fired from his medical assistant position and with a distant ambition of becoming a nurse, a clear road to his purpose in life is merely the least of his worries as he embarks on a new relationship with another gang member that has his attention.
Notes from initial interview:
- At the age of 13, he began the “hood life” in the South Central Area – the gangster world.
- At 17 years of age he met is first boyfriend online and got involved in his first serious relationship. Most of his gangster friends didn’t know. He kept it on the “downlow.”
- At late 17, his homeboy found out about his first gay relationship that he was gay through his email. His friends immediately rejected him. They forwarded links and revealing e-mails to all of the gangster friends.
- Coming out to Family His family found out next when he was drunk once and he came out to his mother. He told her everything and once and she was crying and then wanted to send him to s psychologist.
- Feels separated to society, stayed in school, became medical assistant, relationship with boyfriend was primary support, assisted with money and car.
- Friends reconnected after 16 months. Called him one drunk day and everyone was hanging out, they said “Come back and kick it in the hood”, first thought is that they would jump him. There were coolers with beer at the party when he arrived. They apologized for posting on the internet. Showed endless support surprisingly by saying “you have always been down to do crazy shit”.
- Brother remained angry despite friends being OK with the issue, arguments arose, brother stabbed him in front of sisters and mother. Family didn’t talk to him after it happened. Brother disappeared for 7 days. His brother was only 13 when this happened and he doesn’t think anything of it.
- At 19, Carlos fell back into drug addiction caused by disappointment at family, friends blamed him for everything. He returned to the real “hood life”—using drugs stealing, using crack, crystal, mushrooms.
- At 19, while doing drugs, his relationship was failing as his boyfriend thought that he was cheating on him. He was going to gay bars like Tempo, Circus, Abbey, and Rage.
- His sexuality caused him problems of rejection from family and friends.
- Life is hard for him and he still doesn’t know what to do. He is still partying a lot. He is staying with his mom and doing drugs with a homie from the hood.
- Mom recently got diagnosed with looist, a form of cancer in the bones. She is only about 40 years old and feels that all of this stress caused my family strife is causing her to develop the disease faster.
- Carlos’ father doesn’t know that he is gay.
- Brother is starting to talk to him again from jail. He attempted to murder two principals, got caught with a gun, and attempted to murder Carlos. He will get out of jail in 10 years, he will be 25 years old.
- Tried being with a woman last when he was 18. He was dating both, a guy and girl at the same time but found the relationship with a man more promising. He doesn’t know why he is gay, he is still searching for answers.
- In the future, he hopes to become a registered nurse. His goal is to accomplish this by the age of 26. He wants to enroll in school soon.
- He doesn’t want to disappoint his father or mother with his life, specially because he wants to give them children.